Marilyn A. Russell, DMD, MS
Dr. Russell is a well versed Periodontist and founder of the Progressive Periodontic Specialist Group more than 20 years ago, located in Fayetteville, GA. A career that began in Detroit, MI, moved on to Howard University Dental School, to become the first minority to graduate Summa Cum Laude from the Army Periodontal Residency Program at Walter Reed Medical Center, and George Washington University, as well as the Medical College of Georgia where she received a Masters in Dental Science.
Dr. Russell is a Vietnam Era Veteran and a Retired Lieutenant Colonel who served in the United States Army for 24 years. She received extensive training on several surgical procedures such as surgical placement of implants, gum disease, laser treatment, combat trauma/injuries, treatment/handling of soft and hard tissues and in other associated periodontal modalities.
While in the Army, Dr. Russell served as a leader in many key roles such as:
- Chief Clinician, Military Dental Facility in Heidelberg, Germany
- Chief Clinician, Dental Department at Walter Reed and Dwight Eisenhower Medical Center
- Director of Dental Services in Panama
- Worked at Gorgas Army Hospital in support of the Nicaragua and El Salvador Wars
- Director of a 14-chair dental facility at Fort McPherson, GA
- Dean of the Periodontal Residency Program at Fort Benning, GA
- Training Liaison for the Rock Army Dental Program in Korea
- And on numerous Medical/Dental Readiness Operations and Missionary Trips
Outside the practice, Dr. Russell also displayed the same sense of leadership, love and compassion serving:
- Six years as the President of the North Georgia Dental Association
- Member of the Retired Army Dental Officer Association
- Member of the American Dental Association
- Member of the North Georgia Dental Association
- Military Officer Association (MOA)
- Member of the Black Jewels Golf Association, Atlanta Chapter dedicated to providing relief and training to teenagers in distress, the homeless and women’s shelters.
Dr. Russell is the recipient of many awards including the Legion of Merit, Atlanta’s Top Dentist in 2009, and was also featured in the Atlanta Magazine.
Dr. Russell is a compassionate clinician who prides herself in providing patients with the utmost gentle care and with the latest technology available in the dental industry. As she steps down as the Chief Clinician, the same philosophy is displayed by the clinicians that now have joined Progressive Periodontics Specialist Group.